Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Ga-Ga for Galliano


A few weeks ago, the Philadelphia Museum of Art (I work there) gave me some literature on their library at the new Perelman Building. The little brochure had a beautiful illustration of Paul Poiret's from the museums collection...it was really inspiring and I thought I had to get to the library to discover some more from Poiret. But, it looks like John Galliano beat me to it. I normally don't care for his over the top, gimicky fashion shows, but I was in awe of his latest collection for F'08. Obviously inspired by Paul Poirets 1910ish illustrations of woman donning some fine chinoiserie, the collection had some pieces I thought were actually very wearable, like the studded chiffon dress above. I loved everything from this collection from the color palatte to the prints, and also the jewelry and shoes. I totally love the look of the rabbit fur coat with the tiny ruffle detail, and I know it was a big thing in the 1910s-20s, but almost a century later, I wish he used a better alternative.

No comments: